Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Guatemala: The land of interesting things! - Week 3

Hola otra vez! El CCM agui es excellente! Me gusta cada dia en Guatemala porque el Senor trabaja es mas bien. Espanol en el CCM es bien porque el don de lenguas es un milagro! Los lecciones con mis investigators es van a muy bien. Tambien, mi companero y you recibamos un companero nuevo. Mi companero nuevo fue en el CCM en Provo por dos semanas antes en el CCM aqui. El nombre de mi companero nuevo es Elder Fillmore. El es bien pero tienando dos companeros com mi is muy muy dificil. El ensenando es dicifil porque eseƱando con tres misionarios es no divertido. Pero, esta bien! El marcado (market) ultima semana fue muy divertido y excelente!

English now because it is faster!

Hello again! The CCM here is excellent! I like every day in Guatemala because the Lord’s work is very good. Spanish in the CCM is good because the gift of tongues is a miracle! The lessons with my investigators are going to very well. Also, my companion and I received a new companion. My new companion was in the MTC in Provo for two weeks before the CCM here. The name of my new companion is Elder Fillmore. He is great but teaching with my two companions is very difficult. The teaching is difficult because teaching with three missionaries is not fun. But, okay! The market last week was very fun and excellent!

The market we went to last week was really good and there were things everywhere! You walk in and there are aisles everywhere and people constantly coming up to you and trying to get you to buy things. I almost got lost with my companion but we found our way. There was so much stuff and all of it was really cool! We walked up to this one guys shop and he was reading a book. He looked up and saw us and he showed me that he was reading a Book of Mormon. Ironic right?! He got excited to see us elders there too. I asked him if he liked the book and he said he loves it and reads it everyday. I then asked him if he was a member of the church or if he wasn’t. He said he wasn't but all of his kids were. I told him that was awesome and I said that if he keeps reading the book and prays about it then he will have his own testimony of it and be blessed for having a lot of faith. He was very grateful for this and we went on our way. As were were about to leave the market I realized I had a Book of Mormon with me. So I told my companion that we have to give the Book of Mormon to someone before we left. He wasn't too sure but I dragged him along with me. I walked up to this one man at a stand outside selling stuff. He tried selling us things but I told him no thank you but that I had something for him. I pulled out the book and I started talking about it. I told him it was a Book of Mormon and that it was another testament of Jesus Christ and that it is about prophets and people in the ancient Americas and how Christ visited them as well. He seemed a little interested and I handed him the book. I bore my testimony about how the book is amazing and how it is the true words of God and that it has blessed my life and I told him it will bless his life if he reads it too. I did this all in Spanish too!

Crazy right?! Im glad he took the book and he said he was going to read the book then pray to see if it was true. I don't know if he has but I pray and have faith that he did. I know God will bless me that much more for me handing out my first Book of Mormon to someone. That was a cool experience I had at the market though.

So last week my MTC president wanted to talk to me. I went to his office and he sat me down. I thought he was going to release me from being district leader because we switch every two weeks but instead he looks at me and said something like, Elder Kahl I see you are a good leader and have a great character and attitude about you and that is why I am moving you up the ladder to be the new zone leader. The zone leader is the one who is above all the district leaders and I have more responsibilities.

I was surprised by this because I was not expecting it at all! However what I do is... I turn off all the lights in the MTC at night, close all the doors, the windows, the air conditioning, and make sure everything is secured at night. I check in on the district leaders to see if their districts are doing good and I also make sure everyone is in their rooms and have their lights turned off at night. I conduct some of the meetings here when we have them and also the devotionals as well. I carry a first aid kit with me and elders come to me if they need anything if they are sick. Its seems like a lot of responsibility and it is especially for it being my 3rd week here but I am up for the challenge. So that is something that is definitely new here!

Like I said I got a new companion so now we are in a trio which makes it difficult especially with teaching but he seems like an alright guy.

Conference was great! I really enjoyed President Monson's talk and liked how he said, "Decisions Determine Destiny". That is something to take note of. I also enjoyed Elder Bednar's talk and Elder Uchtdorf's as well. One of the themes I noticed was helping the poor and needy which definitely applies to me since I will be helping the poor and needy for the next 2 years. All the talks were great though. I actually took 27 pages of notes this conference. It was crazy the amount I took and it took up almost all the ink out of my first pen. I heard the talk about Aaronic Priesthood holders and I hope that Connor paid close attention to that talk and learned something from it! Conference was pretty great this time though!

The food here is still good. For breakfast we usually get eggs, beans, sometimes we get breakfast nachos which are actually good, and we get frosted flakes. For lunch and dinner we get A LOT of beans, rice, tortillas, and stuff to make tacos and burritos. It is all really good though even though all the food is destroying all the stomachs of each missionary (even me). However, don't worry because it is Ok! The Wendy’s we ate at last week was so much better than American Wendy’s for some reason, but it was good!

Guatemala City is amazing and we saw a lot of poor areas especially the slums that Tanner was in and saw a lot when he was in Brazil. It was exactly the same thing and was sad but very humbling at the same time.

I shared the first vision of Joseph Smith to one of our investigators this week in Spanish and it definitely brought the Spirit into the lesson and started to make me tear up and then my companion started to cry afterward when he was sharing his testimony about it.  It was incredible and it was a powerful lesson.

I can't remember all of mom's questions because there were A LOT (haha!) but hopefully I answered most of them.

Oh! About my companions, one is from Idaho and is 19 and the other is from Iowa and is 18. There is a sister missionary here from way southern Colorado. Oh and check this out! The new elder who is my companion, his sister is serving in the Fort Collins Mission and is in Fort Collins now I think. Her name is Sister Fillmore. Maybe you can look for her! I thought that was cool and ironic as well! Well I love you all and I miss you all as well but I am glad I am here in Guatemala doing the Lord's work because I know that this is where I want and need to be! Stay Sweet!
                                           Love, Elder Kahl

No comments:

Post a Comment